Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bringing Friends into the Fold?

Michael here...

I love to play board games. I am lucky to have a wife that also enjoys playing. Im not sure if she is quite as passionate as I am but nonetheless, she is willing to try any game :)

Throughout my gaming experiences I have tried to learn what draws new gamers further into the board gaming world. Depending on the games that they have alreay played, and what they say they like, I might start them out with a party game like Time's Up or Dixit. Sometimes I will go straight to a board game like Ticket To Ride or Stone Age. These games have simple mechanics and usually draw people in.

I find that sometimes I get stuck having to force my friends to play other games. At this point I usually try games like Dominion or Smallworld. Each being fun and, I think, easy to learn. Friends will either like these games or will want to go back to what they are more comfortable with.

Today I made the mistake of introducing some "Newby" friends to Munchkin and it did not go over very well. :(


We were not through the first round before I had mutiple "I don't want to play" and "I don't get it" statements.

Then the "I don't want to curse you, that's mean". LOL!

To say the least we made it one round before I stopped the game due to the lack of enthusiasm. This set of friends have played; Dominion, Pitchcar, Stone Age, and Time's Up. I do not think that they were fully prepared for the backstabbing nature of Munchkin nor the crazy nuance of the game.

Sometimes I find it difficult to know what is the best way to get friends into the gaming fold. Is there one? Are there those that no matter what I do they will not go beyond Ticket to Ride or Time's Up?

How do I help my friends understand that there is a whole world of fun games out there?

The funny thing is that they say they love games. I really believe they love party games, but I would not say they are board game lovers.

To say the least I really do appreciate the times that they have played different games with us. I just want more! Lol!

Please... advice from fellow gamers.

1 comment:

  1. I had a discussion with a friend today regarding something similar to this. It seems that you can not force your love of something on someone else. If you try too hard then you will push them away and you will be that "crazy game guy". If you see that they are not getting into what you are playing than you should suggest something else. Try and find out what they like, strategy, fantasy story, or whatever and suggest accordingly. Start simple and the if they like that you can say, "If you enjoy this than I think you will like this other game". Then you have a reason to get together again for the new game. Just take baby steps.

    ReplyDelete